Gateway to the South, The Scenic Wonderland!
Entrance to the South
The longest bridge in NZ is a 1.9km whistling bridge crossing the braided Rakaia river, a daily changing vista.
Lead you to a host of natures wonderland
Rakaia, the gateway leading to the beauty and playing grounds of the South.
Halfway to everywhere!
Plan your trip and springboard from Rakaia.
Photo Credit: Teodora Motateanu
LIVE in RAKAIA
Enjoy the pleasure of semi-rural life, close proximity to both Christchurch and Ashburton, nestled on the banks of the braided Rakaia River and in the shadow of the Southern Alps, in particular Mt Hutt. An amazing caring community spirit.
- Medical Centre
- Volunteer Fire Brigade and Emergency Services
- Primary School to Year 8
- Childcare and Playcentre
- Community and Sports Domain
- Community Swimming Pool
- Community Hall
- Social Service Groups
- Pharmacy and Post Office
- BMX Track
- Dog Park
- Beautiful walkways and trails
- Four Square
- Service Stations and Mechanics
- Beauticians and Hair Salons
- Engineering businesses
- Food Bank & Sharing Shed
- Churches (Anglican, Catholic & Presbyterian)
- Cafe’s and Bakery
- Country Craft Galleries
- Community Gatherings and Events
- Rakaia News – fortnightly
- Groups, clubs and organisations to get involved in
- Golf course
- Tennis, Hockey, Bowls, Squash Courts, Rugby, Netball, Pony Club
- River access
- Mt Hutt close proximity along with Heated Spas
- Fish n Chips, Indian Takeaways, Azteca Taco pop-up takeaways
Discover Mid Canterbury
VISIT ~ come and play or come and stay
Come and visit us, get a taste of our community charm and take in the walkways, beauty and peacefulness that Rakaia has on offer and where our two massive structures greet you ~ our 1.9 km long bridge and the magnificient oversized Salmon.
- The gateway to the South
- B & B
- Family Campground
- Self Sufficient Lifestyle Parking spot
- Petrol refuelling
- Food and takeaways on the run
- Pit Stop in our clean amenities
- Dog Park
- Motorhome Waste Dumping station
- Get out and stretch your legs and let the children run off steam in our wonderful roadside parks.
- E-car top up stations
- Place for BBQ’s and picnics
- Bakery on roadside top-up
- Massive Salmon welcomes you
- History Boards, Murals and Map
- Country Arts Gallery & Craft store
Working in… and or…. doing Business in RAKAIA
With Engineering, Seeds, Produce, and Innovation abounding in Rakaia there is plenty to find in the way of seasonal work, and opportunities to do business in Rakaia.
- Engineering companies
- Seasonal work
- Horticulture farms
- Dairy farms
- Rakaia Hub (Packhouse & Storage)
- Flower gardeners/farmers ~ florist suppliers
- Seed packers and cleaners
Latest Projects in Rakaia
RAKAIA SALMON FISHING PROMOTIONS COMPETITION
The Rakaia River Fishing Promotions Inc. held their 40th Fishing Competition which was a huge success and very popular event. This was held the last weekend in February.
Keep your eye out for next years event and don’t miss out.
RAKAIA SALMON SITE HISTORY BOARDS, MAP & MURAL
The Rakaia Salmon site has been through an impressive upgrade with history boards added to showcase Rakaia and its journey thus far, along with spectacular murals with one being a map of the greater area.
NEW WASTE DUMP STATION
Rakaia has received a new waste dump station for all those caravans, mobile homes and visitors who pass through on State Highway One.
Located along Railway Terrace East.
The Rakaia Dog Park was officially opened 26th November 2022 by Mayor Neil Brown and Deb Renga the instigator of the project.
A wonderful new asset for our piece of paradise.
DOMAIN WALKWAY PLANTING
The Domain portion of the walkway has now been planted and is ready for regular watering.
STATE HIGHWAY SPEED LIMIT
Rakaia has been successful in being on Waka Kotahi’s radar for potential reduced speed limit through the town.
Submissions are being sought with closing date Monday 12 December, 5pm.